Between the meetings and the permanent calls that characterize in the Government the vertigo of the eve of the summit of leaders, the coordinator of the Technical Unit G-20 , Hernán Lombardi , received LA NACION in his CCK offices. The official insisted on highlighting the dimension of the meeting, stressed that security is a central issue that is "permanently paid attention", provided details on the restrictions on circulation and reiterated that multilateralism is the way to macrismo. "We tried to see the world as a threat and it did not go well for us," he said.
-We are facing a huge opportunity for the group of Argentines. It is the tangible proof of the great mature relationship that Argentina built with the community of nations in the diversity of the world scene. We work very intensely in the Cabinet Office, the Chancellery and the Sherpas in the consensus reached in these more than 70 meetings that took place throughout the country with economic impact in ten provinces. In addition, the country has no memory of such number of meetings of the president with world leaders in 72 hours and we will be the stage where key meetings, such as those of President [Donald] Trump with Xi [Jinping] or with [Vladimir] Putin.
- One of the objectives is to achieve a statement that shows more consensus than differences, but that is not guaranteed. Will it be a failure if it is not achieved?
- Do not. The temporary presidency of Argentina can aim to seek consensus, offer a friendly and safe scenario, but then everything depends on the world situation, which is complex. The leaders have the last word. We are facilitators.
- All Argentina is a country traditionally very well connected with the world. The possibilities offered by the relationship with the world allow permanent learning. We Argentines have tried other ways, to live the world as a threat, and it has not gone well. A huge consensus around the opportunities offered by the world will touch the ordinary citizen as well. In addition, every element you see in the debates is linked to how we project ourselves into the future. That touches all citizens, young people.
- Do you think that the summit will bring a political return to the President?
- The President is characterized by not making calculations of short-term political revenue. He has never done them. But if the vision of greater integration with the world brings us closer to our strategic objectives (reduce poverty, build greater dialogue among Argentines and fight drug trafficking), yes, of course. But it is not a tactical political revenue, but a revenue in that the long-term vision is consolidated and will be better for all Argentines.
-As every time we do big events, we will publish the number and there will be a significant saving compared to the figures that were circulating. Austerity is a common denominator in the organization. - What does it mean that the summit will be austere? -Macri entrusted to take care of every weight that we have. It will be noticed in many costs that the organization assumed and in which it did not assume. There are logistical issues in which money was saved, but always taking care of the excellence of the organization.
- We pay attention to him permanently. Providing maximum security is part of the mission we have and that Minister Patricia Bullrich successfully faced. Here there was throughout the period of organization what are called "advanced visits": all countries had their visits. As organizers, we proposed as a G-20 team a security scheme that was checked and rechecked and now has adjustments based on the results of those conversations.
- There are many contingencies and that is one. If someone has something to say, he can say it.
- Everything is under investigation. We pay attention to every situation that arises.
- We are aware that we generate some discomfort. During the two days [on November 30 and December 1], circulation in the Parque Norte, Aeroparque, Costa Salguero and Puerto Madero corridors will be very restricted. There will also be strong and severe restrictions on 9 de Julio Avenue, in Recoleta and transportation. But the operation is designed to cause the least possible inconvenience to citizens. On the 29 there will be restrictions too, but it will facilitate that people can leave the city after noon. We are facing the most important event in modern history in terms of leadership and that requires providing a safe setting for all our visitors.
- Everything that is to offer opinions of pacific form is a right. Obviously, my political opinions do not share what they say.